Amazon Web Services (AWS) published a case study on Impact Makers’ project with MedStar Health. Impact Makers used AWS to support a new digital presence for MedStar. The collaboration with AWS provides a state-of-the-art platform that is highly secure, scalable and cost-effective.
MedStar Health is a large healthcare provider in the Baltimore/Washington metro area with 10 hospitals, 250 outpatient centers, 6,000 physicians and 30,000 associates caring for millions of patients every year. The health system desired to execute a digital transformation but their existing website was not up to the task. The user experience was lacking in engagement and the site was not responsive on most mobile devices. MedStar wanted to overhaul their website completely by modernizing the look and feel, and converting to a user-friendly CMS to meet the needs of various stakeholders, including patients, doctors and the community at large.
The results of Impact Makers’ project for MedStar include:
- Implemented WordPress in a multi-site configuration, with custom plugins, code and third party plugins. More than 100 “sub-sites” and 20,000 pages comprise the MedStar Health public Web presence.
- Built an advanced content and provider search capability including facets, filters, synonyms and type-ahead. For instance, a user could search for “heart doctor,” get back all “cardiologists” and filter for those that accept a specific insurance plan.
- Migrated legacy content to the new site, first with automated processes and followed by page level content curation by a dedicated content management team.
- Search engine optimization with tested landing pages and “call to action” (CTA) combined with Google analytics reports of user sessions and engagement.
- A user and stakeholder designed site with feedback gained from facilitated design sessions and traditional requirements analysis processes.
- A responsive design optimized with various screen form-factors and mobile devices.
- Role-based content management and administrative approval workflows.
- Training courses and training videos produced by Impact Makers for content manager education.
- Project management and status reporting to various stakeholders around MedStar including Marketing, IT, Legal, Medical Affairs and Hospitals.
- On-going technical maintenance, SEO, and analytics reporting.
Read the case study.