From the co-chair of the Impact Makers Board of Directors, Jill Sumner
Dear Friend of Impact Makers:
The beginning of the New Year brings to mind all that has been accomplished and all that has yet to be done. I am contacting you today to share information about the community contributions and goals of a unique organization that I am very proud to be involved with, Impact Makers.
Impact Makers is a management and IT consulting firm that contributes its profits to its charity partners, Rx Partnership and CHIP of Greater Richmond (now a program of Family Lifeline). In 2011, Impact Makers contributed more than $100,000 in direct, unrestricted financial support to these organizations and provided more than 200 hours of pro bono management and technology consulting support to them. Over the past year Impact Makers’ financial and professional support has contributed significantly to the ability of these organizations to empower and support tens of thousands of citizens in our community.
Through Rx Partnership, an organization that provides free prescription medications to qualifying uninsured patients of Virginia’s free clinics, Impact Makers’ financial and in-kind support translates into more than 2,479 donated prescriptions for 567 low-income, uninsured citizens throughout the state.
Impact Makers’ contributions have helped to enable Children’s Health Involving Parents (CHIP of Greater Richmond) to continue to achieve excellent outcomes:
- 99% of participating children were covered by health insurance
- 99% of participating children were connected to a primary care medical provider
- 97% of participating children received all doctor-recommended immunizations
- 96% of participating children (ages 3-5) were connected to a primary care dental provider
My involvement with Impact Makers is on my Top 10 for 2011 list. I have attached some additional information about Impact Makers and their community support. If you would like to learn more about us, how we can work for you, or how you can get involved I would love to talk with you.
Wishing you and yours happiness and success in 2012!
Jill Sumner, Co-Chair, Board of Directors
Impact Makers Highlights 2011
By the numbers – a year of significant growth:
- Increased revenues by 300% over 2010.
- Expanded consulting support to more than a dozen clients in three states and one foreign country.
- Added more than 20 consultants to payroll in 2011; Impact Makers total project staff surpassed 30.
- Featured on Virginia Governor McDonnell’s web site as a Virginia Job Creator.
Support for our community charity partners:
- Contribution of more than $100,000 in direct financial support to our community charity partners, Family Lifeline and Rx Partnership.
- Provided over 200 hours of pro bono management and technology consulting support to our partners.
- See letters from Family Lifeline and Rx Partnership for more information about the impact of our support.
National and statewide publications and other media featured our social impact business model:
- Richmond Times Dispatch: featured Impact Makers’ business model and our community charity partner CHIP of Greater Richmond (now part of Family Lifeline). See http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2011/mar/13/tdmony01-growing-number-of-companies-have-a-differ-ar-901764/
- Virginia Business Magazine: described Impact Makers and the benefit corporation legislation that we championed. See http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/a-new-type-of-company
- Ventura County Star: highlighted our social entrepreneurship model. See http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/mar/19/chhabra-invent-create-wealth-and-share/
- ABA Journal: featured Impact Makers’ business model and discussed benefit corporation laws. See http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/profiting_for_good_new_corp_structure_helps_nonprofits_deliver_benefits/
- Richmond Times Dispatch: included Impact Makers’ 2011 contributions in their article on “Notable Gifts.” See http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/feb/26/tdmony02-notable-gifts-for-feb-26-ar-1716124/
Championed passage of Benefit Corporation legislation in Virginia:
- Law took effect July 1, 2011; Virginia was the fourth state in the country to enact such legislation.
- Benefit corporations are stock corporations that have elected to incorporate with the business purpose of creating a positive impact on society and the environment in addition to generating profits.
- See http://impactmakers.com/2011/willett-rtd-2011-10-03 article and link to video for more information.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery:
- Inspired consultants in Cincinnati, Ohio to create a management and technology company modeled after Impact Makers.
- Ingage Partners uses a significant percentage of its profits to fund charitable organizations in the Cincinnati area.
- See http://impactmakers.com/2011/ingage-partners
Year-End Partner Letters
B Impact Assessment
For more info on our community impact see our third party B Corporation assessment rating and scores at http://www.bcorporation.net/impactmakers.